© Quantum Corporation. All rights reserved. | Page Feedback
By 2020, video surveillance is expected to reach a total of 3.3 trillion video hours per day, resulting in 859 petabytes of surveillance video captured daily. This increase in data is caused by new challenges like more camera streams, higher resolutions, and increasingly complex analytics. Quantum’s video surveillance storage solution is an intelligent, scalable platform that provides a cost-effective tiering solution that can grow under a single file system, all designed specifically for video applications.
CCTV Storage Breakdown: A camera with 1080 resolution generates about 10 GB per camera per day. If applied to a CCTV storage infrastructure with only 50 cameras and a one year retention policy, 183 terabytes of data will be generated. Make it 4K and the storage requirement jumps up to 730 terabytes in the same time frame.
On-Body Camera Breakdown: On average, one officer generates four hours of video data per day. It only takes 12 officers 14 days to reach 1 terabyte of data, meaning a police force with 1000 officers will generate more than 1 petabyte of video data in a year.
On average, using a disk only storage approach can take up 55% of your project budget. By using Quantum’s tiered storage approach, you will spend less on cloud video surveillance storage, allowing you to spend more on cameras, video management systems or analytics servers.
Quantum helped Calgary Police save $300,000 by using a tiered storage approach. With over 4 PB of data from 1500 officers, Calgary Police chose to store less than 25% of their data on high performance disk, tiering the remaining 75% of data to intelligent tape.
A major US city expects to spend $1.3 million for a year of cloud-based storage for its law enforcement officers. At the end of the five year contract, this aggregates to a total of $15 million dollars.
Using a typical cloud video surveillance storage solution with on-body cameras will cost your agency approximately $1000/officer/year. With 1500 officers, storage will cost $3 million over two years. Quantum’s cloud-based storage costs $718/officer/year, which saves you 28% compared to competition over two years. With Quantum’s tiered solution, storing the same amount of data costs $213/officer/year, saving 79% of the price of competition's solution over two years.
Quantum’s StorNext platform is a policy driven tiering software, allowing users to extend primary storage with scalable, more cost-effective tiers of storage. Our solution is ideal for organizations with large amounts of video and the challenges that come with scaling storage with your data growth.
StorNext offers the ability to automatically tier data over time from one type of storage to another, based on your customized policy. Tiering empowers the movement of less-frequently used data to the most cost-effective storage with best-in-class data integrity.
Being able to deploy and properly size both performance and capacity tiers creates a balanced infrastructure. For
example, the costlier, high performance tier can be sized as small as possible, while investing in capacity needed across less costly tiers such as object-based storage or file-based tape, thus delivering the total capacity needed more cost effectively.
StorNext’s ability to write up to four copies of video simultaneously to multiple targets not only ensures that data is protected, but it also minimizes the need to move files across the network when retention times expire. This reduces the amount of network bandwidth required as well as data management, reducing overall operating costs.
Spend less of your budget on video storage so you can spend more on other surveillance tools
Using a tiered storage approach, end-users who are required to store data for longer periods of time can move data to a more cost-effective layer of storage
Tiering allows you to easily maintain data visibility and access, regardless of where your data information resides
Offering a single, accessible file system greatly reduces the complexity required for IT personnel to access and manage data
Set policies to automatically migrate data to the most cost-effective high-capacity tiers of storage to enable cost-savings
The value in tiered storage comes from transparency – even when evidence has been tiered to a different type of storage, it looks like it’s right where you left it; it’s as easy as looking at your C: Drive
Talk to one of our video surveillance experts solution experts to explore how Quantum's proven storage solutions can help