One of the exciting features available with the Quantum LTO-5 and LTO-6 tape drives is called the Linear Tape File System (LTFS), which allows you to use the tape almost as if it were a hard disk. You can drag and drop files from your server to the tape, see the list of saved files using a standard operating system directory (no backup software catalog needed), and use point and click to restore. To implement this feature, you simply need to download and install the LTFS software on your host machine, using the link at right.
LTFS is an open standard, interchangeable with other LTO-5 and LTO-6 brands, and is also cross-platform, so you can use the tape as you would a USB flash drive. Simply load an LTFS-formatted tape into your LTO-5 or LTO-6 drive, mount it into the file system, and it becomes visible as if it were a disk. Currently, the Quantum LTFS software supports Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
Quantum Scalar LTFS appliance
Now, with the Quantum Scalar LTFS appliance, you can enjoy all the benefits of LTFS technology on your Quantum Scalar Libraries! The Scalar LTFS appliance features a NAS front-end, connects to your Scalar libraries via SAS or Fibre-channel and is based on the LTFS open-standard for content formatting. Because it works with existing application and file system tools, LTFS-based content is easily managed, transported and accessible for long-term data protection and archival storage. The Scalar LTFS appliance can also be used to import and export LTFS open-standard media into a StorNext File System. This flexibility provides a cost-effective alternative for content workflow, for cloud and content distribution services, and for applications such as video or unstructured data archiving.
Among the benefits of Quantum LTFS are:
- Ease of use – Simply drag and drop files to and from tape
- Fast access - Once you load a tape, the directories and files are displayed on your screen directly, without the need to run backup software first. You never need to rebuild a catalog.
- File portability - Since the information written to tape is self-contained, data recovery is independent of hardware or software platforms. Tapes can be exchanged easily between different operating systems and software.
System Requirements for standalone drive download only
- Windows, Linux or Mac OS X (see Supported Operating Systems link)
- Quantum LTO-5 or LTO-6 tape drive with firmware V3082 or greater and an LTO-5 or LTO-6 tape
- Linux FUSE kernel mode subsystem or MacFUSE module
- If you are using xTalk for drive diagnostics, version 188.8.131.52 or greater supports LTFS.
•NOTE: Quantum Technical Support can only provide support for Quantum's LTFS using the Quantum drive